Friday, March 21, 2014

FRAME PREPARATIONS

I decided to paint the frame rather than going with the factory black powder coat option.  I didn't want black and it would have cost $400.  First step was to test fit the suspension and fit most of the sheet metal pieces for the cockpit.  It was also the time to drill all of the holes in the frame and sheet metal panels for riveting in place after the frame is painted.  The idea was to avoid scratches on the frame paint by doing this first.  There are now 500 or 600 1/8" holes in the frame and panels of which I didn't get a picture but you'll see later in assembly.
After the panels were fit and suspension pieces had been back on and off several times it was time to paint.
So outside the frame went in the cold winter rain for a spray down with degreaser, a pressure wash, then a spray down with an etching wash to help the paint stick, and another pressure wash.

Next I wanted to clean up some of the welds around the roll cage where they would be visible.  So after a little grinding and several applications of bondo they were looking better.  Here is a before and after:


After weeks of not getting anything done on the car I decided that Thursday I 
WAS GOING TO PAINT THE FRAME NO MATTER WHAT.  
This was in spite of having an important meeting that evening and leaving town early Friday morning for four days.  Guess how smoothly that went?
The first coat was a black (POR-15) rust preventive undercoat that went on quite well, except I was trying to use a small spray gun thinking that the small tubes needed a small sprayer.  So it took all morning instead of a couple of hours.  Then there were two trips to the paint store because that's just how I do it.  When it was time for the color coat I switched to the larger gun and things progressed much better.   However at six pm, my deadline to stop, the silver color coat was only 2/3 finished.  A call for help went out to good friend Jeff Modjeski who said go out out town and when I get back it will be all silver and clear coated.  
And it was.
I am blessed with good friends and family.
Thanks Jeff M.
Jeff also was the inspiration for the silver color. I had decided on white but he convinced me otherwise.
Thanks again Jeff M.
Here's the result:


Learned:
1.  The rotisserie made frame painting much easier.
2.  Frames are a lot of work to paint.   
3.  I'm really glad I made the rotisserie.


The rear end pumpkin and spindles were also rebuilt with new bearings and seals, and cleaned and painted.
Before:
After:




Finally this thing can start to go together!

Time since delivery:  7 months





2 comments:

  1. Honestly, I'm just looking at the pictures. Looks cool! The rest is all macho I-don't-follow talk. Oh, and Suzi would like a pink car...

    ReplyDelete