Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Prologue

PROLOGUE

Sometime around 1996 I began to think, plan, and dream about building an airplane from a kit.  It may have started when I ran across this beautiful Lancair model:

Fast, incredible looks, and could be built for "only" about $75,000.  A picture of it went up on my office wall and the planning began.  One year later I had my pilots license and had figured out that the Lancair was too fast, and too complex for a low time pilot and I would most likely kill myself and an unlucky passenger in it.  So the hunt began again, ending with a more conservative, safe, and less expensive Vans RV9.
A new picture went up on the office wall:
Meanwhile wife and love of my life reveals that she severely dislikes flying, particularly in small airplanes.  In an effort to slow things down she strikes a deal with me that no airplane projects begin until the house is paid for.  
DEAL.  

2012
Jump forward about 15 years and what do you know, the mortgage is paid.  And after 15 years to think about it, I realized that building my dream airplane would mean:

         1. She never goes anywhere with me in it.
         2. She would worry terribly every time I went anywhere in it. 

What is to be done? 
A smart man would realize that she is the best thing that ever happened to him and abandon the whole silly idea.  In an unusual move I decided to be smart.


Maybe I should build a car instead.
About this time I see that Factory Five Racing is designing a new car, the 818, a mid engine Subaru WRX powered kit car that is great looking, inexpensive to build, and has near supercar performance.

I had seen their Cobra replicas and considered them, but this was very intriguing.  I sent in a deposit to get one of the first kits, ending up #113 on the wait list.  We planned a business/pleasure trip to Boston which happens to be within an hours drive to the Factory Five Racing facility so I could get a first hand look at the prototype car.  I walked into automotive enthusiast heaven.


I lucked out when Dave Smith, a genuinely nice guy and owner of this wonderful place walks into the showroom and says would you like a tour?  An hour later I am sold, but have been drawn toward another car which I remember from my past.  A replica of the 1965 Daytona Cobra Coupe race car.
 Here it is:
And doesn't she look good in it?
The coupe would cost twice as much as the 818.
She says "You should get the blue one"

I love that girl. 

Spring of 2013 I placed my order.

What follows is a mostly photographic documentary of how Mr. Brady Builds a Car.




3 comments:

  1. Welcome to Blog World! Well done! A few thoughts ..... I don't remember recommending the blue one, and ... lest there be any confusion, visiting Boston was a justification (and lure for me) to visit Factory Five, not the other way around.
    I love you too, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do look good in that, Brenda. The question is, will you get to drive it, and are you willing to go faster on the ground than that kit plane would probably go in the air?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to follow the blog, btw!

    ReplyDelete