Monday, March 17, 2014

THE ARRIVAL


We had one big vacation trip planned for the year and wouldn't you know it, the car was delivered by Stewart Transport while we were enjoying the beautiful scenery of the Icefields Parkway between Jasper and Banff in Alberta, Canada.  Stuff like this:

It was really unfair to be in such a wonderful place and to be torn between loving where I am  and wishing I was home unpacking the Coupe.  So this is what it looks like as shipped.  Along with a big pile of boxes.

















You can see that a lot of the cockpit sheet metal was temporarily fastened to the frame before shipment.
That is going to make it easier than trying to figure out where each piece goes.














First order of business was to get the body off and take a hundred pictures so I could reference back to them on how to put it back together.



Passenger footbox as it came from the factory.











And finally the frame was bare.  I had a cart with heavy duty casters that wasn't getting much use in the machine shop so I commandeered it to hold the frame.


Brother Jeff, fellow car enthusiast, came down from Washington State and spent a lonnnggg Saturday helping to inventory several thousand pieces in the kit.  Every body panel, bolt, nut, brake, and washer accounted for and put away on shelves in a way that they can be found again at the proper time.

Thanks Jeff!

It soon became obvious to me that crawling around under this thing was not meant for a 60 year old body and a plan for a rotisserie was hatched.  It was somewhat designed as I went along and isn't perfect but it works!  Notice the body on its wooden frame in the back.  That should keep everything straight until it is reunited with the frame.


I have since made a few refinements, meaning it's no longer held together with c clamps.

And the engine arrived as well.  It is really fat compared to the 1965 original.
I hope there is a shoehorn in my toolbox.





No comments:

Post a Comment